Thursday, January 31, 2008

Brrr!

The winds of January are about to bow out as we slide (literally, on ice) into the balmier month of February. Yesterday, I didn't go to work because the roads were so wicked the state police warned everyone to stay home. Plus, we'd lost electricity for a couple of hours, so I didn't know what appliances were on/off and which would come on when the power returned. We are woefully unprepared for a disaster of any sort, which makes me want to join a intentional community. Think updated commune. Sustainability. (the new buzzword) At least I'd be able to throw wood on the fire and keep warm. Something to think about for my next house move which should occur mmmm, let me see, in about five years if things stay on schedule.

Next- a grammatical rant. Today, I received a note about some changes in the personnel at the area office of an international organization (not RWA.) This organization's main objective is communication. Apparently, not the written kind. In a two-page note, I counted at least seven errors. I can forgive an occasional misplaced comma, heck, I've done it myself, but a missing period? "As" instead of "has"? - The board as been working on . . .And the topper (hold onto your collective hats) the invention of the (possessive) word its'. Yes. I. T. S. apostrophe.
No excuse. They need to hire me to proof all of their correspondence.

1 comment:

Bronwyn Green said...

Its'???? Please tell me you took out your red pen and sent the corrected copy in.