Friday, January 18, 2008

Duck! Incoming! (Ideas, that is)


Here's the problem. I'm 3/4 done with my WIP, which was November's NaNo (see glossary for decoding). Probably more like 13/16 done. It's hard to tell because I've skipped over chapter breaks this time around, but we're nearing the end.

I'd like to go back and finish my pseudo-vampire story, which stands at around 250 pages. I dropped it to start and finish The Apprentice Fairy Godmother (currently at an agency). Why drop a sexy, sizzling book about a vampire slayer and their purchasing agent? (artificial blood, anyone? Chocolate? Tanning lotion?) Because I was persuaded (influenced) last spring that vampire stories are (pardon the pun) dead. The market is oversaturated, etc. Ho hum.

Really? That's not what I'm seeing on the bookshelves, but maybe I'm not as smart as the people in the industry. Aren't we (writers) always told to write something different, fresh? I think a vampire story without a vampire as either the hero or heroine is pretty damned fresh. Which is why I'm going to return to it in about a month.

In the meantime, while cleaning out vast amounts of writing debris, I found a title I'd scratched down eons ago. Immediately, characters and plots started churning in my brain and a next comedy is taking shape. I'm going to write it. After I finish my dark fantasy. After the vampire story. It may be May (cute!) before I start.

What say you all? How do you keep the next WIP at bay while maintaining interest in what needs to be finished?


And forgive the parathesis, there was a buy one get one free sale at Target.

4 comments:

Bronwyn Green said...

Hastily written notes usually keep them at bay. Also chocolate.

Brynn Paulin said...

Who on earth told you Vampire fiction is dead??!! Lies!! Lies, I tell you!!! I've bought five vampire books in the last two months.

Brynn Paulin said...

You've been tagged for the meme. Here's the info: http://brynnpaulin.blogspot.com/2008/01/meme-tag.html

Jenny Trout said...

Yeah, everyone says vampires are over. My royalties statements suggest otherwise.