Thursday, January 24, 2008

Greyhounds in wigs



I know a lot of my writer friends scrapbook or collage their stories/characters to generate inspiration. I've got a 2" binder full of pictures, notes, reference material, etc on my current WIP. I have folders of things I've ripped out of magazines. There's a folder of women, men, couples, settings, odd stuff and (more recently) sayings that might end up on a scrapbook page. ("Dark and sparkly" is the latest. It's originally from a page on metallic makeup, but it's going to fit a future character beautifully.)


Mr. Why-Aren't-You-Writing recently came home with a nine inch stack of old magazines. I've been having a field day ripping out stuff. My favorite, by far, is a two page ad from Juicy Couture (Juicy Crittoure) of two adorable greyhounds in wigs (one blonde, one pink,) pearls, ribbons and lockets. I don't know where I'll use it. I've never written a story with a dog in it, but somehow, sometime, these lovely ladies are going to make it into a contemporary with lots and lots of dog humor. It may be six books from now, but they deserve a supporting role. If I have a dog at the time, I'll buy it a cashmere hoodie with my advance. (from Juicy Couture, of course.)


What's the oddest thing that triggered a story idea for you?

3 comments:

Bronwyn Green said...

I can definitely see those dogs in a story of yours.

The weirdest thing so far is a cross stitch pattern. Haven't written that particular story yet, but I'll get there.

Jenny Trout said...

MMRWA retreat 2004.

sterlingwriter said...

Retreat! LW/DW!!!!!!!