Saturday, November 24, 2007

The nose hits the grindstone




What is a grindstone anyway? Where can you buy one? My grandpa used to have one, about 12" across, set on its side in a wooden frame. He'd sit on one end and push a pedal, turning the grindstone faster and faster then he'd sharpen knives and axes and anything he'd need for the farm. Grandpa was a sadistic old coot (kidding.)
Week last for NaNo and I'm within site of the end. Or the middle, as this book will top out near 400 pages. I'm at 160 with seven days to go. The steam has dropped off a bit. I blame it on POV changes, it always takes me a page or two to get into a new scene.

Wednesday, I wrote awful sex. I didn't write awful, the sex was awful. It was meant to be. Who says it has to be earth-shattering the first time? For my characters, that would be all wrong. She has trust/intimacy issues and the circumstances leading up to the sex were very stressful. Here's a hint - it will get better. Here's another - the best music to play while writing sex is Andrea Bocelli.
Today's best line, used when the H/H argue about the pressure of being a leader:
“Someone has to do the dirty work, right?”
“Nay. Someone has to survive to live with the pain of deciding who dies.”

2 comments:

Brynn Paulin said...

I have to see if I can look that guy up. I'm always looking for good writing music.

Perhaps I will look into grindstones too. I could use one.

Jenny Trout said...

I can't listen to him while writing anything. All I can think of is his weird eyes.