Monday, October 29, 2007

My work here is done

I think I've struck the perfect balance between pantzing and plotting. I have just enough structure to point me along the way but allow detours and surprises. So says she who has a four page color-coded spreadsheet in her three-inch thick binder. I spent all weekend on that binder, it is a work of beauty. I've covered character arcs, turning points and personality profiles (lightly on the last, I know hair and eye color and vague backgrounds, but refuse to know what song they liked in second grade.)
And still I learn more about my characters. I hope the wonder continues until the last page.
Writing is such a strange business.

2 comments:

Brynn Paulin said...

Holy Mother of God! You certainly skipped the no plot part. Wow. I am very impressed.

Bronwyn Green said...

Dang girl! I'm impressed...mightily, mightily impressed...and a little scared.