Friday, April 18, 2008

RT Day 4

Romantic Times conference, Day 4
There are different ways to work a conference. Socially/networking; for the workshops; for the experience of being in another city. I usually opt for reason 3. Not that I don’t enjoy meeting new people and learning new things at workshop, but I love finding out new things about the city I’m visiting for several days.
Pittsburgh:Working people, a tough, gritty city with pockets of really cool places like the Strip, which is more Little Europe than any place I’ve seen outside of Europe.
The Cheesecake Factory (no lines, contrary to what I’ve heard) which is universal, but not in my part of the world. I enjoyed the architecture of my salad (really, I think there were support beams in place that dissolved as I plowed my way through it) and the wonderful cheesecake, and especially the tender care of my waiter, Paul, whom I think I have fallen in love with a tiny bit. He called me dear and wanted to take care of me. It’s probably in his waiter handbook on how to get a 25% tip from women traveling alone, but it worked, so kudos to him.
The internet connection in our room is spotty, so I’ve resorted to hanging out in the lobby to get any work done. Lots of opportunities to people-watch.
Only one workshop for me this afternoon, and maybe the opportunity to write before it starts.
Later!

1 comment:

Bronwyn Green said...

I think Paul just realized how spectacularly charming you are. Wouldn't he be surprised if he saw you in your costume last night...